Hello friends, welcome to our article what is a carbohydrate, its functions, types, sources and benefits.
We all eat food, some people follow balance diet in their food. So they eat whatever comes to their mind, which causes them a lot of harm and most people do not know when and how much healthy food they should eat.
Eating excessive food without thinking also increases carbohydrates in their body, due to which they also have to face different diseases. Carbohydrates, proteins and vitamins have a big hand in your good health.
Do you know what is carbohydrate (What is Carbohydrates), in which most carbohaidrats are found, what happens by eating more carbohaidrats, how many types of carbohydrates are there? Carbohydrates in English
If not and you also want to know complete information related to carbohydrates, then read our article completely. So let’s know without delay Carbohydrates Food list
What is a Carbohydrate
What are Carbohydrates – Carbohydrates are macronutrients found in plants, fruits and vegetables, which provide energy for proper functioning of our body. This is the reason why it is important for everyone to include carbohydrates in their diet.
Carbohydrates are found in every food item. From fruits and vegetables to fries or chips or even slices of pizza, carbohydrates are present in plenty.
Carbohydrate is the main source of energy for our body and to get this energy or energy, it must be included in our diet.
Definition of Carbohydrate
Definition of Carbohydrates – Such organic compounds which are made up of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen are called carbohydrates.
Carbohydrates have the general formula Cn(H2O)n.
Examples of Carbohydrates – Glucose (CH,,O.), Fructose (CH,,O.), Cane O sugar (C,HO), Starch (C,H,O,) and Cellulose etc.
In these compounds, hydrogen and oxygen are found in the same ratio as is found in water. That is why they are also called hydrate of carbon.
Sources of Carbohydrates
Friends, apart from us humans, carbohydrates are the most important source of energy for most of the living beings in the world.
Carbohydrate-rich foods provide vitamins and minerals to our body, but most people do not know which foods contain carbohydrates.
Most carbohydrate-rich foods are high in starch and fiber . Therefore, you can use different types of fruits and vegetables to increase the amount of fiber in your diet.
Carbohydrates are found in which food | Carbohydrates Food list
List of foods with Carbohydrates –
- green vegetables
- wheat biscuits
- Whole grains
- junk food
- cooked wholemeal pasta
- Baked Beans
Qu. how much carbohydrate should we take in a day
In all people, about 45 to 65 percent of the total calories in the body are obtained from carbohydrate-rich food only.
Carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram portion, so a person consuming 2000 calories of foods per day would need to consume 225 to 325 grams of carbohydrates on a daily basis.
Types of Carbohydrates
Carbohydrates are mainly of three types
- Monosaccharides Carbohydrates – This includes Glucose, Fructose, Ribose, Xylose, Galactose etc.
- Polysaccharides Carbohydrates – This includes Sucrose, Lactose, Maltose, Cellulose, Robinose and Raffinose.
- Oligosaccharides Carbohydrates – This includes maltose and lactose maltose
Functions of Carbohydrates
Carbohydrate is considered important for energy in our body because it provides maximum energy to the body.
Carbohydrates serve as your body’s energy source. When you eat foods that are rich in carbohydrates, the body easily breaks them down to make energy.
Carbohydrates have many functions in your body, some of which are as follows
- Production of energy for physical activities – Carbohydrates provide energy to the body and are used for physical activities.
- Maintaining body weight – If you consume more carbohydrates then it increases your weight which maintains more body weight.
- An important energy source for the body in the form of glycose – Glycose is an important energy source for the body. Carbohydrates enter the body in the form of glycose.
Why do we need carbohydrates?
As you know carbohydrates are the main source of energy for your body which converts carbohydrates in your body into glucose which is used for the energy of the body.
If you do not consume carbohydrates, your body may lack energy which can cause fatigue and weakness.
In addition, if you do not meet the carbohydrate requirement, it can affect other nutrients in your body.
Therefore, it is necessary to consume carbohydrates in the right amount so that the body can get sufficient amount of energy to meet its requirements.
However, consuming more carbohydrates is also not good as it can make you a victim of increasing weight and other health problems.
Structure of Carbohydrates
Carbohydrate is a type of organic compound, which is made up of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen molecules.
The general structure of carbohydrates is Cn(H2O)n, in which the number of n can be different.
This structure is like a straight flexible wood, in which there is a continuous chain of carbon molecules and there is an oxygen atom between every two carbon molecules.
Hydrogen molecules are also involved in this series, which form bonds with carbon molecules.
Thus, carbohydrate has a stable ratio of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen molecules which makes it structured and useful.
Benefits of eating carbohydrates
Consuming a carbohydrate diet high in fiber can be beneficial for the heart and blood sugar levels.
When soluble fiber passes through the small intestine, it binds to or absorbs bile acids. In this condition, the liver uses cholesterol present in the blood to produce more bile acids.
According to Wikipedia, consuming a daily soluble fiber supplement can reduce levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol by up to 7%, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease.
Consuming foods containing highly refined carbohydrates can increase the risk of heart disease and diabetes, compared to foods containing natural carbohydrates.
Fiber is a type of carbohydrate that has been linked to lower levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol, a lower risk of heart disease, and increased glycemic control.
Disadvantages of eating carbohydrates
Carbohydrates are the main source of energy for your body. Consuming it in moderation is essential for a person to remain healthy, but consuming carbohydrates in excess has adverse effects on your health.
Disadvantages of consuming more carbohydrates –
- Risk of obesity – Simple carbohydrates can increase the risk of obesity in individuals with a lack of physical activity and high intake of junk food.
- Diseases like cancer and heart attack – An increase in carbohydrate and fat in the body increases the risk of heart disease, some types of cancer and stroke.
- Sugar disease – Excessive intake of carbohydrates can also cause diabetes. When a person consumes carbohydrates, they are broken down into glucose through the digestive system. This glucose enters the blood and increases the level of blood sugar or glucose.
In which vegetables are carbohydrates found?
Carbohydrates are found in many types of vegetables. It is an important source of food which gives energy to our body.
It is found in abundance in grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, other plants, etc.
If we talk about vegetables, carbohydrates are widely found in vegetables, some of the major vegetables are as follows
- Cereals – wheat, rice, barley, millet etc.
- Vegetables – Potato, Carrot, Pea, Radish, Onion, Tomato etc.
- Pulses – Arhar Dal, Moong Dal, Urad Dal etc.
- Fruits – Apple, Banana, Guava, Grapes, Orange, Pomegranate etc.
- Rotis, paranthas, noodles, pasta etc. which are made from flour, maida or semolina.
These vegetables contain a high amount of carbohydrate, which provides energy to our body.
High Carbohydrates Food list
Carbohydrates are an important energy source for our body, but eating them in excess can lead to accumulation of excess fat in the body.
High Carbohydrates foods –
- Rice – Bhaat, Pulao, Biryani.
- Breads made on the basis of grains like Roti, Parantha, Naan etc.
- Pasta, Noodles, Macaroni |
- Items made of potato, maize flour or porridge like potato paratha, potato tikki, maize bread.
- Condiments included in Shahi Paneer, Matar Paneer, Dal Makhani etc. and spices included with paneer.
If you are suffering from excess weight or you want to avoid the consumption of high carbohydrate food, then you should avoid consuming more of these food or eat them in less quantity.
Which are the low carbohydrate foods? Low carbohydrate foods list
Consuming a low carbohydrate diet reduces the sugar level in the body, which helps in weight loss.
Following are the low carbohydrate foods –
- Vegetables – Broccoli, capsicum, brinjal, legumes, zucchini, bottle gourd etc.
- Fruits – Strawberry, Blueberry, Avocado, Papaya, Mango, Pear etc.
- Nuts and seeds – Groundnut, flaxseed, sesame, walnut, pistachio etc.
- Eggs, Meat, Seafood – Fish, Shrimp, Chicken, Turkey, Beef etc.
- Dairy – paneer, curd, cheese, butter etc.
All these foods contain carbohydrates in small amounts. You can reduce the amount of carbohydrates in your diet by including these foods.
Apart from this, you can also include other low carbohydrate foods like vegetarian dishes, salads, green tea, coffee etc.
Our article What is a carbohydrate, its functions, types, sources and benefits. How did you like the information given in Carbohydrates, do tell us in the comment box.
If you have any question related to the information given in what is a Carbohydrates article, then definitely ask us, we will try our best to answer all your questions. If you liked this article, then definitely share it in your social media.